Friday, May 4, 2012

Two peas in a pod
This week has been a challenge.
Sadly, my sweet Dixie cat left this world this week. It was a hard decision to make, but somewhere inside I know I made the right decision. It was very emotional. I've had Dixie for as long as I can remember. We have shared some wonderful memories these past 16 years. She's been the sweetest cat, a good friend, a comfort for when I'm sad, and if you knew us well you would agree we shared many of the same personality traits. It was very hard to let her go. This was the first time I really felt like I needed my husband during a deployment. Of course I want him home every single moment of every single day. A strong want. But I felt like I needed him. This has been a big fear of ours since the first deployment. It was a hard feeling. And I know he wishes he could have been here. But amazingly enough, I made it. Dixie has been my deployment companion! When my husband is away for field training for weeks at a time, she's there to cuddle on the couch with me to watch a tv show. She's there to share some dinner. She's there to lounge on the patio in the sun. Dixie has made it through five moves, four cross country drives, and lived in three states.
I will miss her a lot.

1 comment:

  1. Dixie was such a sweet little thing. I always thought it was so cute the way she acted like a child being carried by you. She was so soft and Tom couldn't help saying those 3 magic words to her ;) We know that she loved Tom especially when he had ice cream or milk in bowl. I like that she was too sophisticated to give in to the follies of "those animals" in the house. Except for when she ran to the scratch pad and scratched at high speed :) I miss her greetings in the morning and when I come in the door. Thank you for sharing her sweet little doodle-ness with us. Hugs ^.^

    ReplyDelete